The B&M doctoral candidates are encouraged to work abroad in another laboratory or in an international scientific collaboration project. B&M offers travel grants for this purpose as well as for attending high quality laboratory courses abroad. The travel grants are also be available for international congresses where research results are presented as a poster or oral presentation.
University of Helsinki / Chancellor's travel grants for B&M doctoral candidates
Travel grant applications have to be filled on a special form. There are 2-3 deadlines annually to apply for travel grants (these will be informed by email to B&M students):
1. Amount of the Chancellor's travel grant
- Max one Chancellor's travel grant / doctoral candidate
- For international courses/congresses in Europe max 800€
- For international courses/congresses outside Europe max 1500€
- For lab visits related to doctoral thesis worki max 1500€/applicant
2. The use of the Chancellor's travel grant
- The grant can be used to cover travel costs, such as transportation and accommodation costs and registration fees
3. Purpose of the Chancellor's travel grant
The Chancellor's travel grant can be applied for the following purposes:
3.1. Travel grant for a conference or practical course abroad
- In the case of conferences either an oral or poster (1st author) presentation is required
- The grants are allocated on the basis of the relevance of the course or meeting for the applicant
3.2. Travel grant for a research visit to a collaborating laboratory abroad
- An invitation letter of the hosting laboratory or a short recommendation letter from the supervisor is required
3.3. Travel grant for visiting potential postdoc laboratories abroad
- It is highly recommended that the applicant visits more than one potential postdoc laboratory during the same trip
- An invitation letter of the hosting laboratory or a short recommendation letter from the supervisor is required.
The B&M Board will select the grantees based on applicatons.
Travel grant application form for University of Helsinki
DSHealth-specific principles for travel grants
Aalto University / Travel grants for B&M doctoral candidates registered to Aalto Doctoral Programme of School of Science
Please contact Aalto B&M coordinator Jaakko Järvinen for information on how to apply for travel grants.
Please also note the FENS stipends for training stays and NENS Schools.